As a part of ‘Narmada Jal Avtaran Mahayagya’, pitchers were distributed to all the talukas of Saurashtra. People brought in their pitchers some soil from the ponds and rivers of their village. Moreover they also put in the pitcher some SINDOOR from the village temple of Lord Hanuman. On the day of the program people remained present with their pitchers.
The target of this Mahayagya was that 115 dams of Saurashtra should benefit from the Narmada dam. With a view to achieving this target, 115 sacrificial pits (YAGYA KUND) were prepared and were given the names of 115 talukas. People carried pitchers filled with soil taken from the rivers and ponds of the villages of their taluka and placed the pitcher in the sacrificial pit bearing the name of their taluka. Then Narmada Jal Yatra reached the site. Some water of the Narmada River was poured into all the pitchers filled with the soil taken from the rivers and ponds of the villages of 115 talukas. This is how the Narmada Jal was mixed with the soil brought from the rivers and ponds of various villages of Saurashtra. In the program these pitchers were worshipped; SINDOOR brought from the village temple of Lord Hanuman was also worshipped. One spoon of edible oil was collected from each and every family dwelling in 108 villages around the site of the program. In this way totally 10 tins of oil were collected. This oil was used in preparing Lord Hanuman’s ‘PRASAD’. This religious ceremony was connected with the program and had a very positive effect on the program. Lacs of people, who were present in the program, made an appeal to the people of Narmada Control Authority. They expressed their appeals and demands in the following way:
- May the people of Narmada Control Authority acquire the courage and strength to install flood gates on the dam-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the people of Narmada Control Authority acquire the strength to fill 115 dams and 200 rivers of Saurashtra with Narmada water-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the people of Narmada Control Authority acquire the strength to complete all the canals of the Narmada dam very speedily-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May all the farmers acquire both sense and strength to take good care of and to maintain all the check-dams, ponds and farm-ponds-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the people of Narmada Control Authority acquire the strength to finish the Water Conservation Project with people’s partnership-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the village people acquire the strength to activate water conservation village committees in all the villages-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May all the farmers acquire both sense and strength to adopt Drip Irrigation Method in their farms-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the village people acquire the strength to plant trees and to maintain them properly-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the whole mankind acquire the strength to keep the Water Conservation Project activated and alive-OM NAMAH SWAHA
- May the people of Narmada Control Authority realize that Kalpasar Project should be launched as early as possible
You may feel that activities such as bringing SINDOOR from Lord Hanuman’s temple, collecting one spoon of edible oil from each and every family of 108 villages and performing YAGYA etc. are redundant and they only encourage superstitions and blind faith. Personally I am against all types of superstitions. Everyone should have faith and trust. Rituals like YAGYA, worshipping with SINDOOR of Lord Hanuman’s temple, taking vows in front of YAGYA KUND and Lord Hanuman’s SINDOOR provide or prepare a solid and strong religious background and these religious rituals certainly give greater determination and courage to the people.
May all the farmers acquire both sense and strength to adopt Drip Irrigation Method in their farms-OM NAMAH SWAHA
When a farmer utters these words as if he were chanting a religious SHLOKA, these words become as important as a religious doctrine. When people hear these words, they are carved in their memory for good. Man is always willing to respect and follow religion. It is possible for a farmer to ignore the suggestion, ‘We should conserve water’; but it is not possible to ignore ‘I will conserve water-OM NAMAH SWAHA’ because it has acquired religious importance. When a farmer wastes water by adopting flood irrigation method, he remembers his own words, ‘May all the farmers acquire both sense and strength to adopt Drip Irrigation Method in their farms-OM NAMAH SWAHA’; and he refrains from wasting water by using flood irrigation method. All these useful suggestions related with water conservation are carved in the memory of all the people. Naturally all the farmers go on discussing them with one another. This continuous discussion keeps the Water Conservation Project alive. The government allots more funds for the Project and the difficulties that crop up in the way of its accomplishment are removed immediately.
People’s awareness plays a vital role in the solution of a problem. One of the six points raised in the program was ‘May the people of Narmada Control Authority acquire the courage and strength to install flood gates on the dam-OM NAMAH SWAHA’.
The demand for installing gates on the dam was fulfilled within 15 days of Shri Narendra Modi becoming the Prime Minister.
People of Gujarat are greatly pleased and are expressing their feelings of deep gratitude to Shri Narendra Modi. The second point of this Mahayagya was that 115 dams of Saurashtra should be filled with Narmada water. Shri Narendra Modi approved of the launching of this project also.
The remaining issues were related to farmers’ awakening and awareness. They were as follows:
- Adoption of Drip Irrigation Method by all the farmers
- Removing useless bores
- Keeping the Water Conservation Project alive and progressive
All these points were related to the people of the village. Both the government and the people should put their efforts to achieve the targets they were expected to achieve. This glorious program was organized with a view to achieving these targets.
During the drought of 2012 a number of awareness programs were organized regularly for 8 months so that there should be perfect co-ordination between the government and the people and they should remain dynamic and active till the fulfillment of the mission.
Mr. Narendra Modi, our honourable Prime Minister, had remained present in Saurashtra Narmada Jal Avtaran Jan Jagruti Mahayagya. Our honourable Chief Minister Smt. Anandiben Patel, honourable minster Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasama, honourable minister Shri Babubhai Bokhiria, other ministers and MLAs, social leaders and a large number of people remained present in the program.